Wisconsin Democrats Push Minimum Wage Hike | News
Democrats in the Wisconsin Legislature are calling on Republicans to hold a public hearing on a bill to increase the minimum wage.
Twenty six Democrats, including possible gubernatorial candidate Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, sent a letter Tuesday requesting the hearing.
The bill was introduced in January. It would increase the minimum wage from $7.25 to $7.60 an hour and then have it go up automatically based on inflation.
The request for a hearing comes as President Barack Obama and Democrats nationally have been calling for an increase in the minimum wage.
Republican Sen. Glenn Grothman says he doesn't support the bill, saying a higher minimum wage won't help his goal of finding more entry level jobs for teenagers. Grothman chairs the Judiciary and Labor Committee.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Upcoming Events near Western Wisconsin
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- New U of M Study Links using a Doula and Reduction in C-Sections
- Motorcyclist Identified in Deadly Crash near Mall of America
- West St. Paul Church Holds Garage Sale to Benefit Charities
- FEMA Rejects Dakota Co. for Disaster Declaration<br />
- Burnsville Woman Accused of Cutting Brother with Knives over Wi-Fi Connection